Saturday, August 21, 2010

Thursday Night Recession Dinner

I get a text...wanna go to Augies?  Of course I do...who doesn't? One of my favorite restaurants in Springfield!  So off I go with good friends Todd and Tricia.  Thursdays are Augie's "Recession Special" -- a 3 course dinner for $12.99.  I have been there before and checked out the selection for this Recession Special and was not overly impressed. However, this past Thursday, I could not pass it up.  I think it was the "horseradish" description that accompanied the Cast Iron Sirloin that caught my attention. Anyhoo....all of us ordered the same thing.  No food envy at this table.  First course -- greens with tomatoes and roasted onions with a balsalmic vinagrette (plus Augies addictive home made bread).  Very tasty and I suspect grown locally.  Main course -- Cast Iron Sirloin with potatoes and sauteed spinach.  Meat was cooked perfectly.  Aforementioned horseradish sauce was OK.  I'm not a big spinach fan, but the potatoes/spinach/horseradish combo was good.  Usually when I order meat/potatoes  at a restaurant I am overly full, but this seemed to be the right amount. On to the third course -- peach frappe with 3 oat meal cookies and fresh peaches (which tasted like that were either too ripe or had macerated in ginger liquer). Wine that accompanied the meal was a delicious Australian Shiraz....the name escapes me.  I did take notes over dinner, but alas have either lost them or thrown them away!  The night wrapped up with after dinner drinks at JP Kelly's.  A great bar with no pretentiousness about it (unlike many Springfield bars).  Would I have this meal again?  Absolutely!

D

No comments:

Post a Comment