Friday, December 23, 2011

Wednesday, Dec 21 ~ Spokane, WA

Today was a day of great food discovery!  Since I am in Spokane for a bit, thought I would write about my food experiences there.  First, I am shocked at the number of GREAT restaurants there.  I was expecting something along the lines of the "everything fried" variety, but not here.

LUNCH


Using my favorite iPhone app (Yelp!), I searched for something simple yet interesting for lunch.  Found this dandy and headed on down (and when I say down, it is quite a steep hill from my office to anywhere to eat).   Europa Pizzaria is a quaint restaurant serving both lunch and dinner. It has exposed brick walls, going for a Mediterranean feel.

I had the tomato potato soup and the turkey/onion/cranberry cream cheese panini.  Yum! There is also a full bar and dinner menu. I will definitely be back.

DINNER


Dinner was at Wild Sage American Bistro, another restaurant located downtown Spokane.  This restaurant is cozy, again with exposed brick, high ceilings, and a small bar. Stellar reviews on Yelp!


Starter : had the Yukon taquitos > mashed Yukon potatoes, salted cabbage, chili lime sauce, avocado in a homemade tortilla shell.  Accompanied by Sriracha sauce.  May not sound appetizing, but they were very good.

Salad:  the waiter highly recommended this salad, so I went with it.  Very rarely have I been steered wrong by a waiter's recommendation. Crisp Bacon and Blue salad > bibb lettuce, lots and lots of bacon, vine ripened tomatoes, toasted pumpkin seeds, and a wonderful home made blue cheese dressing.  I could eat this for breakfast, it is that good.


Main Course:  I went with the special of the evening, roasted pork, apples, onions over mashed potatoes.  The pork may have been the best I've ever tasted; perfectly cooked, a little pink in the middle (which is how it should be!), crispy on the outside, tender on the inside.


Wine:  Accompanying this fine meal was a bottle of something??   I don't recall the name, but is was a Washington state Cab....delicious.

If you are ever in the area, check out this little gem.  Since it is small, you may need to call ahead for reservations.  It did get packed on the Wednesday night I was there.

More to come from Spokane!

Dee


No comments:

Post a Comment