Sunday, August 14, 2011

Friday, August 12, Gallagher's Steakhouse

I know, I know....the blog is "Thursday Night Supper Club", and this is Friday; what can I say?  I am a creature of habit and had my stand - by at The Magic Kitchen last night, which I have already blogged about.  I'll blog about my lovely Friday night dinner instead.

Started at It's All About Wine with friends/family:  Dora, Tim, Todd, Tricia, and special guest Lisa Fulkerson.  Lisa is an old college buddy that knows way too much about both me and Dora, and vice versa.  She is in town to work at the State Fair, not as a carnie, but as a bonafide University of Illinois employee.  We shared a bottle of Yalumba, a Shiraz/Viognier blend from Australia.  Then headed to Gallager's Steak House.

Seated us right away.  Walking to our table, noticed that the bar area was PACKED with old folks; like the kind of old folks that have to buzz to get back in the institution if it is past 9pm.  Someone at the piano, with possibly karaoke (or not).  The singing was not great, but everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves, and it supplied us with endless conversation topics. 

Friday nights Gallagher's has a special:  10 oz prime rib, twice baked potato, and salad for $16.99.  I always get that.  The salad came with Brittany dressing, a sweet dressing that reminds me of what my Mom puts on her 7 layer salad.  And bacon.  It was a wonderful salad.  Bread was served along with the salad; a sweeter version of dinner rolls.  Yum.....

Main course:  Biggest 10 ounces I have seen.....and cooked perfectly.  Well marbled, drizzled in horseradish sauce. Delicious!  The twice baked potato, not as good as I have had here before.  The potato stuffing part tasted a little bit like instant potatoes, a little dry.  Dinner was accompanied by a J Lohr Cabernet.

Our waiter was Thad; he was prompt and professional.  May have to request him next time!  Actually, have never had bad service at Gallagher's.  Good food, great price....  and when you are done, you can belly up to the piano bar and sing (or dance) to your heart's content.


No comments:

Post a Comment